Sit Less, Move MoreLifestyle Fitness Health & Wellness
Legendary comedian, Jerry Seinfeld, said it best. “To me, if life boils down to one thing, it’s movement. To live is to keep moving.” However, in a society where we spend an average of 12 hours a day sitting, movement has seemed to take a back-seat to technology (think laptops, phones, cars, and TV’s). While moving our bodies has a direct correlation with overall health and longevity, it has an equally profound effect on our brain function, memory, and cognition.
If we haven’t yet convinced you to sit less and move more, then maybe these scary statistics from the Center for Disease Control will…
- Over 100 million Americans are living with Diabetes or Prediabetes
- 1 in 3 Americans is obese (compared to 12% in 1960’s)
- Americans spent over $100 billion in 2016 to “treat” back pain
- Over 3 million deaths in the U.S per year are due to physical inactivity
Now, that is the bad news…but here is the GREAT news:
YOU ARE IN CONTROL.
By making some simple lifestyle changes, we can reverse a lot of the negative effects of Sitting Disease. By simply sitting less and moving more, we can dramatically increase our health and prevent future disease. In addition, you will likely see your focus and productivity improve mood and energy levels increasing as well.
Are you going to be a slave to the chair, couch, and computer? Or are you going to take advantage of those two things, called legs? Humans were born to move, and I’m pretty sure that most of you reading this are humans…
All joking aside, we care about each and every one of you individually. We hope you choose the second option to live a long life in which you can do all of the things you enjoy with all of the people that you love. We are here with you on this journey called LIFE.
Please refer to the videos provided below for a quick explanation of why exactly sitting is so destructive to the body and some simple solutions that you can start NOW!
3 Easy Solutions:
- Be conscious and mindful of HOW sitting affects your body.
- Sit (or stand) in different positions as seen in the video.
- Add some stretches while you sit that generate blood flow as shown in the videos.
- Here is @coachjeremy explaining exactly why sitting ruins our bodies.
2. Here is @coachjeremy demonstrating some alternative “seated” positions.
3. Here is @coachjeremy demonstrating some stretches you can do using a chair.
Guest post written by Jeremy Abramson of E3 Lifestyle
> Check out The Raw Deets Interview Series Episode 3 where we speak with Jeremy about Corporate Wellness – Mobility – and Healthy Mindset
Raw Republic Is Here to Help
Not only does Raw Republic aim to provide its customers with high-quality, plant-based good to go meals, cold-pressed juice, and superfoods, but we also intend to strengthen our community with supportive lifestyle tools.
One of our newest exclusive programs is Corporate Wellness which is a collaborative effort with E3 Lifestyle + Essence Nutrition to bring all the benefits of mindful movement with nutrition into office spaces that need it most!
Do you work in an office within the South Florida area or know of a company that could really use some upliftment, increased camaraderie, and enhanced vitality overall? Send us an email to either firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com for more info!