Your First AssignmentLifestyle Raw Republic Nutrition Health & Wellness
DATE: August 2017
NAME: The Republic
SUBJECT: Back to School
With all of the little details that go into preparing our children to get back into their school time routine, one of the most pressing topics can be lunch. As parents, we want to optimize our child’s nutrition and help them stay focused, while the kids want to fit in with their friends and all the mainstream fads.
Can we trust that the USDA and The Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act (HHFKA) will provide daily lunches that support our kids where they need it most? Research shows how eating fast food can directly correlate to lowered test scores, so it is only in our best interest to be sure our children are consuming high quality, nutrient dense meals.
So, how exactly do we provide these healthier options for the kids that makes their tummies full, and leaves smiles on their faces? Moreover, how do we as parents provide these powerful meals without draining our own time and energy when trying to keep things fresh and impressive for our little ones?
|RAW Tip: As caretakers, we often concern ourselves with our children and can forget about ourselves. The ultimate self care tip would be to assure we eat healthy meals. This not only sets an excellent example for our children, but equips us with the proper nutrition that helps us stay clear-headed, focused, and energized. Not only will you avoid burn-out, but you’ll accomplish all various superhero parent responsibilities with much more ease.|
Optimizing Nutrition for the Kids
- Provide your child with a nutrient dense breakfast
- Pack a fun lunch box
- Educate your child
- Discuss the benefits of having a healthy diet
- Describe and show what choices create healthy habits and happy bodies
- Consider bringing them to a “Farm to School” program
We at Raw Republic equally wish to set up children and parents for success, so we came up with a list of plant-based, brain nutrient-packed foods, as well as some fun ideas that can be incorporated into your child’s lunch box and breakfast.
|Debunking Your Child’s Vocabulary: “LIT” means something is poppin’ or “turned up”!|
Some foods are better for the brain than others. Below is a list of foods that encourage healthy cognition:
- Avocados contain both vitamin K and folates that help improve cognitive function, especially both memory and concentration. In addition they are loaded with “good” monounsaturated fats that keep blood sugar levels stable and your skin, hair and nails healthy. Whip up a chocolate parfait or try our #MajorKey Pudding; a fun snack addition to a lunch box. Both items can also be enjoyed as a power-breakfast item.
- Chia-seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids and have been found to keep the arteries of the brain clear of plaque. They nourish the brain by helping communication between brain cells. Raw Republic offers three different nutrient-dense and colorful chia pudding options for the perfect breakfast or snack: #MajorKey, Pitaya Passion, and The Power House. ++ Find chia within our classic Rise N’ Pine cold-pressed juice.
- Blueberries have high levels of gallic acid and are especially instrumental at protecting our brains from degeneration and stress. They are also one of the highest antioxidant-rich foods, packed with vitamin C, vitamin K and fiber. You can eat them with your favorite gluten-free pancakes or waffles, add them to your smoothie and eat them with oatmeal. Raw Republic has all that figured out for you as well, we have featured this antioxidant king within several of our smoothies, bowls, and gluten-free rolled oats menu items.
- Coconut Oil is rich in medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which break down into ketones that can be used by brain cells for fuel and increase our memory function. It also works as a natural anti-inflammatory agent by suppressing cells responsible for inflammation. Raw Republic uses coconut in many of our menu items. You must have our tasty snack the kids will love too; Cinnamon Rolls which have coconut oil as one of the key ingredients.
- Raw Cacao is full flavonols, which have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They can also help lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to both the brain and heart. Raw cacao can be encompassed in many treats for your young Einstein. Make raw brownies or chocolate puddings and take delight in Raw Republic’s goodness that can barely stay on our shelves; RAW Peanut Butter and Almond Butter Cups. Yep, Raw Republic did it again! We have blended a tasty treat with the right amount of nutrients within these mouthwatering snacks.
|DID YOU KNOW? Two-thirds of the brain is made up of fat and it needs healthy fatty acids to produce brain cell which form the membrane surrounding the brain cells. This is where fuel passes in, and waste passes out. Omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) and omega-6 fatty acids are essential fatty acids that your body cannot produce on it own and needs to get it from the outside source. The body uses ALA and omega-6 fatty acids to make DHA fatty acids in the brain, and DHA is essential for the brain to function.|
- Celery is a rich source of luteolin, a plant compounds that may calm inflammation in your brain, which is a primary cause of neurodegeneration. Luteolin has also been linked with lower rates of age-related memory loss in scientific research. Drink it in our favorite variety of juices or make your own “Ants on a Log” creation.
- Leafy Greens are packed with nutritional value as we have discovered in the past. However, it is in the recent research it has been showcased how by adding more spinach, kale, collards and mustard greens to your diet could help slow cognitive decline. The study also examined the nutrients responsible for the effect, linking vitamin K consumption to slower cognitive decline for the first time. This will not only help the kids perform better in school but also have them take proactive measures for aging early on in life. License to Kale and The 8 Wonders are loaded with leafy greens and also have the right amount of sweetness from apples and pears.
- Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas) are one of the best food sources of magnesium, which benefits brain cell receptors to speed the transmission of messages, meanwhile relaxing blood vessels increasing more blood flow to the brain. We offer several delicious lunch favorites with Golden Chickpea “Tuna” Salad. You can have it in a whole wheat wrap, Ezekiel bread sandwich or on it own.
Some of the other foods recommended to maximize brain function are walnuts, broccoli, beets, turmeric, and cold-pressed olive oil (all of which we happily feature in our current and expanding menu!)